Location and accessibility:
By car: turn to north on main road 33 at 67 kilometer mark. There is a side road towards Halastó, approximately 2 kilometres to the narrow gauge railway station where the nature trail begins.
By train: via the Debrecen-Füzesabony line at station Hortobágy-Halastó. The narrow gauge railway station is approximately 100 metres to the west from the station.
The nature trail begins at the starting station of the narrow gauge railway, and the stands are on the right and left side of the main dyke.
The short trip is 3.6 km from the starting point to station Konrad Lorenz (and back)
The complete area of Hortobágy Great Fishponds has belonged to the territory of Hortobágy National Park since its foundation in 1973. Furthermore, the pond system is listed in several international conventions: it is a Ramsar site (a wetland of international importance), an Important Bird Area, part of the World Heritage Site and a Natura 2000 area (a natural reserve of European importance).
A hide on the boardwalk at Kondás pond
Walking along the fishponds, nature trail visitors can discover the flora and the birdlife of fishponds and open marshlands of the Hortobágy. Considering that this area is one of the most important waterfowl habitat in the Hortobágy and in Central Europe, visitors can have a thourough impression about breeding and migrating waterbirds of the Charpathian Basin, including several endangered species. Beside broadening theirknowledge on bird species, visitors can also gain insight into the fish farming activities and methods of conservation habitat management.
Rules and useful advice for visiting the nature trails:
Stands and information boards:
1. Fishing Tools – N47,605180 E21,069737
2. Hortobágy Bird Migration Centre and Ringing Station – N47,6081 51 E21,071181
3. Water Buffalos’ Pond – N47,61 3555 E21,073437
4. Penduline Tit Tower – N47,613495 E21,072104
5. Floating Heart (Nymphoides) Tower – N47,621074 E21,075655
6. Pygmy Cormorant Tower – N47,628747 E21,078825
7. Whiskered Tern Tower – N47,638144 E21,084284
8. Kondás Big Tower – N47,647714 E21,088022
9. Grass Snake Tower – N47,605533 E21,084464
10. Pond Terrapin Tower – N47,617772 E21,089448
11. Otter Tower – N47,624200 E21,099425
12. Willow Tower – N47,633977 E21,093508
13. Kondás Small Tower – N47,648915 E21,084207
14. White Tailed Eagle Tower – N47,638839 E21,100446
Múzeumok, kiállítások, látnivalók
Tanösvények, szórakozás, fürdők, programhelyszínek
Hortobágyi Nemzeti Park Igazgatóság
4024 Debrecen, Sumen u. 2.
Phone: +36 52 529 920
Mobile: +36 30 383 1612
Fax: +36 52 529 940